Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - Annual Skate Awards

Annual Skate Awards

Interplanetary space for discussions of inline skating

Annual Skate Awards

Postby Robert on Wed Oct 11, 2006 4:28 pm

Hi, I've been mulling this idea for quite some time now: annual awards to recognize excellence in the inline world (and also potentially draw some media attention to the sport). I like the idea of calling them Eddy Awards, in honor of Eddy Matzger, but nothing has been decided yet.

Categories could include:
Skate Product of the Year
Skater of the Year
Innovation of the Year
Promoter of the Year

And whatever else we come up with.

Skaters will vote on their favorites. Trophies will be handed out to the winners. Press releases will be sent out to the media.

What do you think?

Please post your comments here or send me a private message or email at [email protected]. (You can send private message through the forum.) :wink:
Last edited by Robert on Sat Oct 14, 2006 1:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Robert
Site Admin

And the winner is??

Postby Tahiti girl on Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:08 pm

Great idea :D The Eddy awards sound better then the dangling/hanging Chads :?
Tahiti girl

Postby badnews on Wed Oct 11, 2006 7:31 pm

Someone please nominate me for "Hairiest Back" trophy.

Me Valentine's Day last year for my gal.

badnews

Postby Robert on Thu Oct 12, 2006 4:54 pm

I was going to say that you seem to have turned a cold shoulder to my idea. But a back like that probably never gets cold. :wink:

But seriously, I would like to hear from more skaters about the idea for an annual awards presentation for the industry. ... If you would liike to see something like this, let me know.
Robert
Site Admin

Postby Jim White on Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:14 pm

I believe there is some merit in the idea. One challenge would be to have awards based on meaningful criteria, not just a popularity contest among a few people voting casually.
Jim White

Postby Robert on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:45 pm

So how can we make the criteria meaningful? ... Any suggestions?
Robert
Site Admin

Annual Awards

Postby NISkater on Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:58 pm

Awards would be okay, but my response is to focus on the subject of press releases. I think it would be good to send out releases to all media prior to some of the inline marathons. There is hardly any attention paid at all to inline skating or the marathons. The Duluth papers & TV do have a little coverage after the Northshore Inline Marathon; but in general there is never much publicity given to inline skating. The only ones who know what goes on is other skaters. For instance, the event in Mears Park in St. Paul the eve before the St Paul Inline Marathon was a great event to watch, but no news or TV about it. I would think that it could have generated some public interest.

When I've talked about skating in marathons to non-skaters, family members, etc. most people have never heard about inline skating marathons. Most people are aware of the ice olympics & ice speed skating & except for the Duluth News Tribune, virtually no attention is given to inline skating. Long Beach would put a couple pics in the paper but mostly they focused on the running portion of the marathon.

We need to get more publicity for the sport through press releases, human interest stories, TV-sports reporters etc. & generate some excitement about the sport. That it is a lot more than just putting on a pair of rec skates & skating around the neighborhood.
NISkater

Postby Jim White on Fri Oct 13, 2006 1:50 pm

So how can we make the criteria meaningful? ... Any suggestions?

Suggest to look for groups, people, and products that have have effectively done something for others, such as bringing skating to new people, or helping skaters get more from their sport. People that are really good role models would also qualify.
Jim White

Postby excelsk8 on Fri Oct 13, 2006 4:36 pm

Too many great people in the sport of inline skating to call them the Eddies, maybe the chad's would be a little bit more deserving, if you are basing the name on merit I mean, I personally think it would not go good with many people if you called it the Chad or the Eddies, you should think of a more generic name, something that didnt pick sides!
just my .2 cents.

on the other side i think it a great idea, but i do believe if it was up to the people coming to your web site then Eddie will probably win the best skater award every year, I guess that is where Jim White was going, that you should pick the skater of the year based on merit, meaning how many wins and all that, that would be Joey, the best new commer, could be some! else... things like that, but all and all a good idea!
Francisco Ramirez
Coach Excel Speed Team
K2/Empire Speed Team Manager
excelsk8

Postby patchc on Fri Oct 13, 2006 5:01 pm

I hate to state the obvious but you call them Eddys so that you don't have to give Eddy a prize every year. He's consistently contributed to the sport over a long period of time and plans to continue to do so. He will probably not like the idea anyway.

If you want to focus the awards on people who have done something to promote the sport then honor people who have overcome obstacles. For example; Dan Burger placing 3rd in the 52 mile distance at A2A and he did it on hard shell rec skates. Or how about Walter Johnson skating on two artifical knees? To me that is more inspirational that totalling up who won the most races this year. It is also more likely to draw public attention. You want something that will motivate people to try it themselves.
Carol Patch
patchc

Awards....nameless in Seatle and elsewhere

Postby Tahiti girl on Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:15 pm

Regardless of what the awards are called, there are many skaters who deserve some acknowledgment. Robert, Kathy Fry, and others should be recognized for starting and maintaining skating forums. Accordingly, it's skaters like Dan, Walter, and many others, who are the heart and soul of skating. It would be nice if they could be recognized for their skating accomplishments and this forum is a good place to start. :D
Tahiti girl

Postby Robert on Fri Oct 13, 2006 10:16 pm

Maybe we could honor both kinds of skaters.

It's probably true, as Francisco noted, that the most outstanding inline racer of the year is Joey Mantia, although I'm sure a few people would nominate other skaters.

But I think you are right, Carol, we should also honor other kinds of skaters. Maybe as part of this we should have something like a lifetime achievement award or a public service award (or both) ... And maybe have a Overcoming obstacle awards. (Another guy that might fit the bill is Chris Bretoi, the amputee skater who, if I recall correctly, finished the Northshore Inline Marathon in under two hours last month.

... As for the name, I just like the idea of making it something fun and catchy, something with personality. ...I haven't heard anything better than the Eddy Awards yet.
Robert
Site Admin

Return to Inline Skating