Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - The course is yours at the SFIM!

The course is yours at the SFIM!

Interplanetary space for discussions of inline skating

The course is yours at the SFIM!

Postby SF Inline Marathon on Sat Apr 12, 2008 12:09 am

The San Francisco Inline Marathon (SFIM) has had several inquiries about the skating course for our event on May 4th.

The course will be completely closed off to everyone except skaters. This includes cyclists, runners, walkers, and other pedestrians. Golden Gate Park has issued an exclusive permit for the SFIM to have the course blocked off via delineators and caution tape. There will also be four Golden Gate Park security officers protecting the major access points to John F. Kennedy Drive. There will be no parked cars along the race route.

We will have plenty of volunteers making certain that no one will have access during our events. Non-race observers will be able to cross the street at several designated areas with the guidance of our volunteers.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to email the race director at [email protected].

Have you signed up? If not, here’s your link:

http://www.active.com/page/Event_Detail ... f1c0f189d7

Sunrise - 5:01 am on May 4th, 2008
The average temperature for May 4 in San Francisco is 54 °F.

Starting Sequence:

8:00 a.m. Clear the course
8:05 a.m. Call to start
8:09 a.m. 60-second warning
8:10 a.m. WAVE 1 (All men and women advanced/recreational skaters)

Full Marathon (Professionals Only)

Starting Sequence:

11:17 a.m. Clear the course
11:20 a.m. Call to start
11:21 a.m. 60-second warning
11:22 a.m. WAVE 2 (Pro Open Men, Pro Master/Veteran Men)
11:24 a.m. WAVE 3 [2:00 minute break](Pro Open Women/Pro Master/Veteran Women)
1:30 p.m. Race offically ends

1:30-2:30 p.m. Awards and after-race party area at Peacock Meadow

"It is an honor to have the finest inline skaters in the world joining together in San Francisco to compete in this event."

-Gavin Newsom, Mayor of San Francisco

Thanks for your support, and we look forward to seeing you the first weekend in May!!
SF Inline Marathon

Re: The course is yours at the SFIM!

Postby ultrask8 on Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:28 pm

Two statements that would have also been appropriate :

"Due to the very valid concerns and input of people familiar with the nuances of having a skating event in GGate Park, we have lobbied heavily to obtain more exclusive use of the roadway (s) during the SFIM".

"thanks to the input and advice received here and in private conversations and emails, we have secured a more protected race course"...

As was mentioned earlier, the need for increased personal to keep the entire venue secured, has apparently been taken seriously by SFIM - hip hip hooray!

The 2008 version promises to be even better than 2007 - DON"T MISS IT!!
ultrask8

Postby maroonloon on Sat Apr 12, 2008 7:36 pm

Just curious what the elevation change is on this route? I am fat, ugly and out of shape, so not sure if I want to plug up a huge hill lap after lap. Just wondering.
maroonloon

Postby DROID on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:21 pm

Jay,................ this is not a nasty climb............ basically............... it is a slow , gentle downhill slope (DOWN) as you go east to west i.e. towards the ocean from the Haight street area. The hills are nothing like where we skated in your neighborhood in Fountain Hills. While the couse is not flat like a pancake......... it is not really hilly either.............. more like gradual inclines............ but the flip side will give you a rest and let you (and everyone else) build up some serious speed.

I hope that helps.

I bet that one of the flattest psossible race courses is at the Miami marathon in January........... I have skated in Piccolo Park........... and it is totally flat,,,,,, and the road is smooth.......... that is probably a great race course and I already plan to do the race in Jan 2009.

Anyway............ I bet you will like the San Fran marathon............ I wish I could say "see ya there".......... but I will be rehabin' the shoulder.... had to cancel all my plans for the trip.

DROID
DROID

Return to Inline Skating