Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - Southern California Pacific Coast Century Skate Bike June 21

Southern California Pacific Coast Century Skate Bike June 21

Press releases and announcements about inline skating events and products

Southern California Pacific Coast Century Skate Bike June 21

Postby Elliot on Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:56 am

The Annual Southern California Pacific Coastline Century Skate/Bike
2008 -- 12th Year

Saturday, June 21, 2008 (meet 5 a.m.; roll at 5:20 a.m. - first light)
100 mile skate and bike ride
Irvine Amtrak station to San Diego Amtrak station

What is it?:
The Southern California Annual Pacific Coastline Century Skate/Bike (“The Century”) is a bunch of people who individually choose to do something together. Each individual fully assumes all risk for himself/herself. This is not an event with a sponsor/host. It's basically one person saying: "Hey, I am going to skate from A to B on day X" and someone else saying: "That sounds like fun, I will do that too." (I think of it as an adventure.)

What is it not?:
It is not a race.
It is not a sponsored or hosted event.

Warning 1:
There is no official support: no checking of roads in advance, no official direction support, no official medical support, no one clearing traffic, no official water support, no official food support, and no official assistance if you get hurt or your skates or bike break down. The only way to be certain you have someone with you the whole time is to arrange with someone that you will stick together.

Warning 2:
The route includes hills: up-hills and down-hills.

Warning 3:
There is a chance we may have to ride 8 miles on the shoulder of I-5 from Las Pulgas Road, Camp Pendleton (a bit south of San Clemente) to the first exit in Oceanside. The preferred route goes through Camp Pendleton. Prior to 9/11 we were always permitted to ride through Camp Pendleton. Following 9/11, for 3 years (2002 – 2004) they did not permit us on Camp Pendleton and we rode on the shoulder of the freeway. (On that portion of the freeway it is legal to ride a bike and it is illegal to be a pedestrian.) In 2005, 2006 and 2007, they let us ride through Camp Pendleton. We are hopeful that this year, 2008, they will again let us ride through Camp Pendleton, but we can never be certain until we get there.

Good News:
The above information is dry and serious. This is a major exertion and should not be undertaken lightly, and the warnings about the hills, the freeway and lack of support should be taken seriously. That said, I also want to point out that I consider this to be a spectacular ride, with beautiful and interesting scenery, and a fantastic way to spend a day.
Most years we have had volunteers drive sag/support vehicle and a volunteer set up a refreshment station at the top of Torrey Pines Hill. We hope to have the sag support and the refreshment station this year, but it can not be guaranteed.

Suggested Route Summary:
On streets from Irvine to San Juan Capistrano. Then on bike path to Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) in Dana Point. From there, most of the trip follows on or near PCH till we get to UC San Diego. Then, from UC San Diego, the route goes to San Diego Airport and ends at the San Diego Amtrak station. ***Detailed suggested route directions will be emailed to participants prior to the Century Skate/Bike.
****Most years we ride through Camp Pendleton Marine Base. Some years, because of terror/security issues they have closed Camp Pendleton to skaters and bikers. When that happens we ride on the shoulder of I-5 Freeway from Las Pulgas Road to Harbor Drive, Oceanside (about 8 miles). Camp Pendleton was closed to us in 2002, 2003 and 2004. We were able to ride through the Camp in 2005, 2006 and 2007.

Return Transportation:
Each person arranges his/her own transportation. Most people take the Amtrak train from the San Diego station back to the starting point, the Irvine Amtrak Station. Generally, most of the trains allow passengers to bring their bikes on the trains. When it gets closer to the date, I suggest you check the schedule with Amtrak and confirm which trains will take bikes. If we have support vans again, some people might be able to ride back in the vans.

REMINDERS:
-----wear a helmet
-----bring government issued photo ID (you need it to get on to Camp Pendleton and to get on the train)
-----bring foot wear (you need it for the train, and if you break down)
-----carry water and snacks (there are places to get water and food, but there are some long stretches with nothing)
-----carry some first aid stuff
-----carry some skate or bike repair stuff
-----bring money (for the train and food ------ I think the train is about $20.)

BAIL-OUT INFO:
There are train stations at San Juan Capistrano, San Clemente Pier, Oceanside and Solana Beach.

Cost – Optional Donation --Volunteering
As appropriate to an un-sponsored, un-hosted event, there is no participation fee. You are responsible for any costs you incur during the day such as food you purchase at the lunch stop and your train ride home. If we have sag support I will pay for their gas and the food and beverages they carry (and Frank Landfield has always contributed the food and beverages for his Torrey Pines Hill support station). Many people have asked me if they can help out with the costs. The answer is “no”. If you want to help out and/or show your appreciation for having this ride available to you, I suggest you
• help recruit volunteer drivers and navigators for sag/support vehicles (how about your spouse, child, parent, or friend) and/or
• make a donation to The American Cancer Society (go to http://www.cancer.org and at the top of the page click on “donate now”, or if it is easier for you to give me money or a check, do that and I will make sure it is donated). Cancer has significantly impacted my family and continues to impact my family; and almost everyone is impacted by cancer during their lifetime personally or through someone close to them.

Further info:
For additional information and to receive email updates contact:
Elliot Gordon
[email protected]
Elliot

Return to Announcements