Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - San Francisco to Los Angeles - The Skate Against Violence

San Francisco to Los Angeles - The Skate Against Violence

Interplanetary space for discussions of inline skating

San Francisco to Los Angeles - The Skate Against Violence

Postby Sk8GodFather on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:31 pm

Hi Skaters,

In April, 2008, I am planning to present the Skate Against Violence Roadskate from San Francisco to Santa Monica. This is a 450 mile skate-a-thon that begins at San Francisco's City Hall and ends at the Santa Monica Pier in Santa Monica, Ca. The event is a rolling anti-violence publicity campaign designed to make a strong statement against the senseless violence we see every day and to strongly raise awareness of the positive aspects skating can bring to the lives of youth and adults and to give people a fun, healthy alternative they can enjoy.

I am putting together the route, permits, sponsorship and other details as we speak. There has been many skaters that have express an interest in participating. In order to show people what we are going to present, I have put together a video from one of the other SF to LA skate-a-thons we have done in the past.

The video has to be presented in parts. Part 1 is now posted on the C.O.R.A. website at http://www.cora.org. This will give you an idea of what we are going to do.

Keep Rollin',

D. Miles Jr.
The GodFather of Sk8
http://www.cora.org http://www.skatinplace.com http://www.SkateGoldenGate.com
Sk8GodFather

Details Posted

Postby Sk8GodFather on Tue Jan 22, 2008 12:18 am

The details on the 2008 Skate Against Violence Roadskate from San Francisco to Santa Monica are now posted at http://www.cora.org/SFtoLA2008.htm

If you are a skater that is interested in skating in this adventure, let me know.

D. Miles Jr.
The GodFather of Sk8
http://www.cora.org
http://www.skatinplace.com
http://www.SkateGoldenGate.com
Sk8GodFather

Skate against violence RoadSkate

Postby ultrask8 on Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:46 am

David I been thinking about skating with your crew for many years, this year I am making it official : Count me in this year on this skate for a fine cause!

I think skating together on the open roads with like minded road heads is a great way to raise some awareness for a worthy cause and also to have a really skategreat time!
ultrask8

Postby Sk8GodFather on Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:22 pm

That's great Jonathon,

You are the 3rd skater to make the comittment so far. I have already mobilized skaters in the Venice Beach area. They are working on the Hollywood Friday Night Skate and the Venice Beach party right now. Notice I start with partying.

I am about to publicly seek participants. For those reading this, you can go too!!! Since we will be skating 24/7 for over 48 hours, we could accomodate a 6 hour, 12 hour and 24 hour road skating world record attempts within the SF to LA Roadskate.

D. Miles Jr.
Sk8GodFather

wr

Postby ultrask8 on Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:31 am

Well calling it a WR on a point to point wouldn't work, but for sure this SF to LA roadskate will se a record amount of goodwill and community spirit working for this cause..

But maybe we can talk about setting up another "World Record Challenge" (tm) at the Polo Field in GGate park??
ultrask8

Postby dinobot71 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:41 pm

Hey, are non-local skaters allowed? (I'm from Canada!) I would love to skate in this event, I think its a great cause and am comfortable with long distance skating, but I would like to push my comfort zone :) If allowed to join, count me in :)

(^_^)/
mike.
dinobot71

SF LA Skate Against Violence

Postby ultrask8 on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:35 pm

Contact d@cora.org
ultrask8

Postby dinobot71 on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:29 am

Thanks! That email worked :) He said more info will be posted soon. I'm stoked!

(^_^)/
mike.
dinobot71

Postby Sk8GodFather on Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:33 am

The truth is we have never turned down anyone that truly wanted to go. We would welcome any skater that was into our cause. I met one of my closest friends, David Freeman when he walked up to us and pleaded his desire to skate with us 4 hours before we took off. The whole group listened to his story and we all decided he HAD to go with us.

One time we were one our way skating to L.A. and as we skated through Fresno we stopped at the IHOP where former Skate Patrol member Mark Mosquera happened to be working. It was a huge coincidence. We wanted to join in with us, but he wasn't ready and we couldn't wait, so we left and headed south towards Visalia and Porterville. As we were skating along Hwy 65, a pickup truck passed us and pulled to the side of the road. hitchhicker got out with skates on. It was Mark.

I think having a Canadian adds an international flavor to our message.
That leaves 6 open slots - barring any last minute skaters.

D
Sk8GodFather

Postby dinobot71 on Mon Feb 04, 2008 10:05 pm

Sounds great! Is everything firm now? Should I go ahead and book the flight? Maybe I should plan to stay in a hotel the night before/the night after? I'll go back and read the info page again, but I'm just wondering about details like exactly where to meet to start off. Are there any recommended items should bring with me? I'm pretty comfortable with long distance, if I bring my camel back and have time to hit a corner store somewhere I should be able to fill up as needed.

Thanks for any tips...

(^_^)/
mike.
dinobot71

Postby Sk8GodFather on Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:51 pm

I have two more details to be worked out before I can have skaters fully commit. I am meeting today with CalTrans on the permits where I don't see any problem. The other is sponsorship and costs to the skaters. I am meeting with XM Radio Wed.

I will post the rest of the plans by Jan 10.

D
Sk8GodFather

Postby dinobot71 on Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:25 pm

Hey, just wondering if the final approvals were made?

(^_^)/
mike.
dinobot71

Next

Return to Inline Skating