Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - Trans USA record attempt

Trans USA record attempt

Interplanetary space for discussions of inline skating

Trans USA record attempt

Postby DanDannels on Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:17 am

Hi! Danny Dannels here. I skate with the Texas Flyers. I have received authorization from Guinness World Records to make a Trans-USA record attempt on my speed skates and sponsorship from Bont for the title to boot!

I will be skating up to 100 miles per day from Jacksonville, FL to San Diego, CA. I will be skating in the I-10 corridor (not on I-10). I am projecting a 30+ day journey rife with human struggle and accomplishments. I will also be blogging my account on my MySpace page during the trip. I begin January 1, 2008.

The current record is held by Rusty Montcrief who crossed the USA on inline skates in 69 days 8 hr 45 min from 5 January to 15 March 2002. He skated from Crescent Beach, near Jacksonville, Florida, and finished at Solana Beach, near San Diego, California, after covering 2595 miles.

Robert Burnson, editor of The Inline Planet, has blessed me with his insight on national weather patters. I will now be skating from San Diego to Jacksonville to accomodate a winter tailwind. Thank you, sir!

I picked up sponsorship from Bont along the way. I have a brand new set of custom Vaypor Blacks to do this in. Thank you Bont, Glenn Koshi, and Debbie Rice for making this come together for me. I just today received two four-foot Bont stickers to put on the sides of my car. They look cooler than racing stripes.

I will also be wearing an Ezee-fit hat to showcase their product. I love those little booties!

I understand from other endurance athletes that it is almost impossible to eat enough food to fuel this event. I am currently attempting to put on extra body weight in preparation for this event. I am up to 210lbs from my previous 185lbs. I've been eating everything in sight for two months. I'm pretty tired of eating at this point.

I and my wife are completely committed to this event. We will be taking a leave of absence from work. We have put our entire home in storage to go do this.

For this event we will be have several requirements to secure the record. We will be recording the entire event. We will be using a miniDv cam and a JVC HDD 30Gig camcorder. My wife, Hillary, will be filming the whole thing and driving the support car.

We will also be contacting media all along the way to come and do interviews for independent verification. We will also be required to stop and get people to sign a log book to verify that I was seen enroute. Each will be a person of standing within the community, such as school officials, pastors, or any public servants. This is a great way to go and touch so many people. It's almost like a scavenger hunt on a national scale.... on speed skates!

I currently have an enquiry in to Guinness to ask if any other skaters can come skate with me while I am out, or if a pace line would disqualify me.

For my skating background, I have been your classic skating commuter for the last decade. I have skated 20-40 miles a day for years on end, with day skates of 60 miles. I only recently came to the racing scene. I started racing in 2005. I'm not an elite sprinter, but I love to skate and skate and skate all day. Nick Dumonski of Thuderbay, Ontario told me during this year's St. Paul marathon, " You're not so much a sprinter, like a quarterhorse, you're more like a clydesdale. You start going, then you start going fast, then you just keep on going." Nick and skated that whole race together. Good times.

This skate is not a normal race. I want to maintain a 12-13 mph pace. That is an aerobic pace for me. Sure, there will be time that I will skate at 20 moh and higher. I am an adrenalin junkie after all, however, I also plan on finishing. I need to save my body as much as possible on this skate. The distance is 100 marathons in length. I am going to treat it as such. I will skate in blocks of 2 hours, or 26 miles. Then I will break for at least an hour. I will adjust as my body and road conditions allow.

On a personal level, I and my wife Hillary are newlyweds. We were married October 31st 2007. This event doubles as our honeymoon. I couldn't ask for a more supportive wife. Not only is she willing to plan, save and take the time off to let me go off and do this, she has committed to filming this for posterity. I am so lucky to have her blessing my life.

You can follow me on my Myspace page:

http://www.myspace.com/13742576

We have about three weeks until we leave. Let me know what you all think.
DanDannels

Postby SkateSkateSkate on Thu Dec 13, 2007 5:29 pm

wow!! thats awesome!! Best of luck to you and I look forward to reading about your journey as it transpires :D
SkateSkateSkate

Postby debbont on Thu Dec 13, 2007 8:42 pm

looking forward to skating with you along I10 in Loueeeeeeziana!!!! Those 3 point custom Vaypors will make a sweet journey for ya 8)
debbont

Postby tmccary on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:52 am

Dan, we are located in Milton, FL. on your return route. When you reach us you will be on the home stretch. Our office is only a couple of miles from the I-10 corridor on which I am sure you will be traveling. We would be honored to arrange independent verification and sign your log book. Congratulations in advance.

Tim McCary
Weber Sports
http://www.WeberSports.com
tmccary

Postby DanDannels on Fri Dec 14, 2007 12:58 am

Thank you for the kind words. I have been getting so much great support from people everywhere.

I also wanted to post an acknowledgement to my Head Coach, Mike Harris. Thanks for all of your support and advice, and yelling at all of us when we needed it! To my technique coach, Brenda Harris, thanks for all of your wisdom and lengthy emails. Oh, and for busting my chops all the time! And all of the Texas Flyers, thank you for skating with me and being my friends. I hope to make all of you proud!

I plan on having a blast doing this, and, can't wait to start skating!
Last edited by DanDannels on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
DanDannels

Postby LezSk8 on Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:41 pm

Best wishes Dan! Awesome endeavor. Skate safe and many smiles over the many miles.

LezSk8! :D
LezSk8 central Florida!
Visit http://www.cftb.us for local skate and trail information.
LezSk8

Postby Skateboy on Fri Dec 14, 2007 3:16 pm

good luck man,

my feet hurt thinking about it.

:roll:
Skateboy

Postby Bill in Houston on Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:39 pm

Danny,
Do you have a sister named Anita? I know her from church...
Bill
Bill in Houston

Postby DanDannels on Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:08 pm

No, I don't have a sister named Anita, but the last name Dannels is kind of rare here. We might be distant cousins. I have alot of family in Wyoming, Texas, and Arkansas. I hear that there are a lot of Dannels in Missouri.
DanDannels

100 miles a day.....

Postby theeos on Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:14 pm

That is increadable maybe you should take a brake after 20 miles and do 5 sessions a day.

I hear the the body performance curtails substantially after 20 miles without stoping then you would be working against yourself for the next session.

Just a thought otherwise, great idea and what a personal challange.

Cheers
theeos

Postby Bill in Houston on Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:31 pm

DanDannels wrote:No, I don't have a sister named Anita, but the last name Dannels is kind of rare here.
Okay, I just had to ask. Anyway, I wish you all the best on your skate. Be safe and seat a great record!
Bill
Bill in Houston

Next

Return to Inline Skating