Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - New To Inline racing and marathons!

New To Inline racing and marathons!

Interplanetary space for discussions of inline skating

New To Inline racing and marathons!

Postby RollerBladerPete on Tue Mar 07, 2006 1:12 am

I am new to inline skating and planning to enter my first races and competions and have a bunch of ?s hopefully you maybe able to answer:
a) How can i learn the rules and protocals of each type of race and marathon?
B) Which GPS is the best for training for online skating?
C) Whats the best place to shop for online skating gear like replacement wheels, bearings, skating clothes, etc?
See ya at the inline skate races in 2006!
RollerBladerPete

Postby Robert on Tue Mar 07, 2006 4:24 pm

RollerBladePete,

Glad to have you rolling into the inline world!

To answer your questions:
a.) Race Rules: Here's a link to the World Inline Cup rulebook. It's a pdf file. The rules only apply to World Cup events, which are outdoor marathons. But they will give you a good start.
http://www.world-inline-cup.com/downloa ... lebook.pdf
The rules at smaller races are often less stringent. ... Also take a look at the FIRS' CIC rules for international track and road events.
http://www.rollersports.org/speed/CIC%20Rules.pdf

b.) GPS: The Forerunner 200-series is probably the most popular model, although you have to go, I think, to the 300-series if you also want a heart-rate monitor.
http://inlineplanet.com/articles4/garminforerunner.html
We had a trial model of the Navman S300 Sports Tool and it worked well for a while, but then the display quit on us. We are not sure if this was just a problem with our test model. But until we try another one, we won't be able to recommend it.

c.) Buying Skate Stuff: I have only used two online skate merchants: inline warehouse and skates.com. I have found them both to be excellent. I have also heard good reports about other online merchants. For racing gear, adams inline and gatorback skate are among the shops with good reputations.

Hope that helps! :wink:
Robert
Site Admin

Postby RollerBladerPete on Wed Mar 08, 2006 1:19 am

Thanks for the information and im glad to be a member of the inline communtiy.
RollerBladerPete

Postby The Schneid on Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:47 pm

RBP

I would recommend the Forerunner 205. It just came out this month and has much better rececption than the 201 model. The reception is so good, that you can walk up and down the aisles of the store and still receive a signal. It is a little pricey though at $250. You can also upload your data to Motion Based and compare routes, times, etc. with other people. Conversely, you can also download these routes to the unit and race/train against yourself and other people. If you really want to splurge you can spend $350 for the 305 which includes a heart rate monitor.

Hope this helps.
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who see the glass as half full, those who see the glass as half empty, and those who want to know who drank their half.
The Schneid

Postby freewheel on Fri Mar 10, 2006 2:41 am

Welcome, Pete!

To me, the basic rules of outdoor racing would be:

1) helmets mandatory, other padding optional
2) first wheel to the finish line wins
3) stay on the course
4) don't trip, punch, or physically impede your competitors :-)

After that, it all depends on what kind of race you're in, as small local races are a very different experience than big, national ones.

Forgive me if I state things you already know -- I didn't know any of this when I went to my first race.

When you ask about rules, I also figure you're asking about categories, because that's usually what defines the common practices in outdoor skating.
Because this is a pack sport -- like bike racing -- you register for a spot in a certain category, which then allows you to skate with (that is, draft in a paceline with) a specific group and no other.

The usual categories are Rec/Fitness, Advanced, and Pro. They all have separate starting times, with the Pro category further divided by gender and age (men and women, Elite and Masters).

However, if it's a small, local race or a long, hilly course, there may be a mass start, which means all categories start together. In a mass start, you are free to skate with anyone at any time, regardless of age, category, gender, registered distance, etc., and the categories are mostly there to sort people by age and skill level for their finishing placement.

On a practical level, the categories are less about raw speed than levels of pack skill and competitive attitude. If it's your first race and the categories have separate starts, choose Rec/Fitness -- people will be very friendly, you can wear any kind of skates, and you don't have to skate in a paceline unless you want to. In Advanced, where people wear racing skates, competition is somewhat friendly, but you should already know how to behave in a paceline or it won't be fun. In Pro, competitors are openly hostile (to strangers, at least), and competing there requires a host of dependent skills you can only get through lots of racing experience. Even if you feel like you're pretty fast, you will not enjoy a race if you try to compete in a category above your skill level.

Did you have a more specific concern about rules, tactics, expectations, etc.? You can also write me privately.

Kim Perkins
http://www.kimperkins.com
-- Kim Perkins

Best advice I've ever gotten:
No matter what you do, your friends will love you, your enemies will hate you, and most people won't care one way or other.
freewheel

Postby RollerBladerPete on Fri Mar 10, 2006 3:58 am

Thanks everybody for your wonderful knowledge and advice . I was wondering if the GPS devices in the $150 dollar range are any good and which one is the most useful and most reliable.
RollerBladerPete

Postby The Schneid on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:57 am

Hey Pete,

There are several brands that will fit within your budget. The only ones that I have tried in the $150 or less range are the Forerunner 101 & 201. Maybe someone who has used the Navman or Nike systems can comment further. I'm a tech/gadget junkie so take these comments with a grain of salt.

Overall I have been pleased with the 201, but as with all GPS devices, there are limitations as they are more or less a line of sight technology on the "older" models. If you plan on skating next to tall buildings (more than 3 stories) or under heavy tree cover, plan on losing the signal from time to time. Heavy cloud cover can also degrade the signal. Once the signal is re-acquired, the unit makes its best guess to calculate the missing data based on time and last known coordinates. Some guesses are better than others.

The 201 has a rechargeable battery with a 13-14 hour life whereas the 101 requires battery replacement. The menus and buttons are fairly intuitive and it comes with a quick use guide. It also comes with a Virtual Partner function that allows you to preset your goals (distance, time, pace) and gives you a visual and audio alert to let you know if you are ahead or behind.

Pros: Rechargeable, Easy to use, Stores up to 2 years of data, Customizable readouts, Virtual training partner, Multiple audio alerts, Calories burned.

Cons: Serial connection to PC, Dropped signal (see above), Up to several minutes to acquire signal upon startup, Rudimentary software for statistical review. (However you can upload the data to Motionbased.com and get a much more detailed analysis and a map view. Can't say enough good things about MB.)

I've used a Forerunner for several marathons and all of my training and have had great results. Unfortunately I'm now hooked and keep upgrading with each new model. It's a great training tool, but depending on what your overall budget and goals are, you may want to invest the money into skating equipment and or technique improvement first. If it fits within the budget, I'd say go for it, you can probably find someone to sell it to if you find you don't like it.

Good luck and welcome to a whole new world!
There are three kinds of people in this world: those who see the glass as half full, those who see the glass as half empty, and those who want to know who drank their half.
The Schneid

Postby gatorbackskate on Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:35 pm

In Pro, competitors are openly hostile (to strangers, at least), and competing there requires a host of dependent skills you can only get through lots of racing experience. Even if you feel like you're pretty fast, you will not enjoy a race if you try to compete in a category above your skill level.

Some of the pros are indeed very cut throat but every so often, even in cut throat racing, competitors are sometimes nice and do things like share water to help out other races. :)
gatorbackskate

Postby RollerBladerPete on Sat Mar 11, 2006 7:22 am

Thanks so far i am loving the world of inline skating now im all confused about what GPS to get cause i like getting the best of whats out there. But the members of this forum are so informative and knowledgable and hope to see you at the races.
RollerBladerPete

Postby Mr. T on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:15 pm

The key thing is that you do not need any GPS system, that is unless you are afraid of getting lost. GPS systems are fun, I agree, but definitely not required to skate. In particular, until you really need to start training at high levels and want to make sure you are keeping a certain pace, etc...
At the level you described yourself, it does not look like you need one, not yet at least.
Mr. T

Postby Mr. T on Mon Mar 13, 2006 3:23 pm

In Pro, competitors are openly hostile (to strangers, at least), and competing there requires a host of dependent skills you can only get through lots of racing experience. Even if you feel like you're pretty fast, you will not enjoy a race if you try to compete in a category above your skill level.

Fear not... If someone is not nice to you, just let me know and justice will be served. I will tackle the culprit and rough him up. Next time he will not bother you. Guaranteed. I might suffer going uphill but there are also advantages in being a large skater. :P

I pity the fool! :lol:
Mr. T

Postby greg on Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:46 am

swatskates,
nettracing,
skatenow.attnet
tried and proven experts on setting up and supplying speedskaters
greg

Return to Inline Skating