First Marathon

If you're learning to skate or want to help others get rolling, this is the forum for you. It's moderated by Kathy McSparran, the Inline Planet's Skate Coach.

Moderator: SkateCoach

First Marathon

Postby Alwayne on Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:15 am

Hi Kathy,
I'm thinking of entering my first marathon (also my first race of any kind). I have been skating for about 4 months. I skate 7-10 per day 6 days a week. What else do I need to do to be ready?

Thanks, Al
Alwayne

Re: First Marathon

Postby BWI-Sheldon on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:39 pm

Take it easier the week before the Marathon. Cut back on the longer skates.
Get good sleep starting a few days before an event. Chances are that you won't get much sleep the night before.
If you are doing a full 26 miles, try to do a skate of at least 20 - 25 miles sometime 2 weeks before the event to see if you are up to it. There is a big difforence between 10 miles and 26 miles.
Eat a well balanced meal before hand, but not within 2-3 hours before race time, otherwise your energy will be digesting food instead of pushing wheels.
If it moves, chase it!
BWI-Sheldon

Postby Bill in Houston on Mon Aug 04, 2008 3:33 pm

I agree with Sheldon.

Don't do anything new on race day. Don't adjust your frames the night before, don't wear a new kind of sock, don't drink some superduper sports drink you haven't tried, etc. And, make sure you do whatever you need to do to get your morning poop done before you hit the course.

I think you'll have a great time. Races are lots of fun, even if you finish an hour after the first finishers.
Bill in Houston

Postby chaosdsm on Tue Aug 05, 2008 2:52 am

How soon is the marathon???

If it's 3+ weeks away, I would try to increase your distance per skate as much as possible, even if it means reducing the number of days you skate. It's a HUGE difference between a 26.2 mile marathon & 7-10 miles. If you can (depending on time till marathon) work up to full or near marathon distance before the marathon.

As mentioned, take it easy the week of the marathon, but you don't have to quit skating, especially if you're doing the marathon for fun. I've skated 35 miles just 3 days before a marathon with no ill effects, but it's more about wellness. You don't want to sustain an injury that close to a paid-for event. And don't make any last minute changes (changing wheels/bearings is fine) unless it's absolutely necessary... unfortunately, I speak from experience... last minute adjustment of frame = couldn't walk the next day... grabbed the wrong socks one time & got a huge blister where I never got one before...
chaosdsm

Return to Skate Coach Cafe