Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - 2008 Texas Road Rash

2008 Texas Road Rash

Post announcements, stories and photos about skate events

2008 Texas Road Rash

Postby Robert on Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:23 pm

Share your stories and photos of the 2008 Texas Road Rash:
Robert
Site Admin

Re: 2008 Texas Road Rash

Postby rglittrell on Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:47 pm

Thank you so much to all the skaters and spectators that came to Texas for 5th Annual TRR. We hope you had a great time.

After 4 years busy organizing, announcing, etc this event, I was able to skate this year and had a great time. I'm finally working on getting back in racing shape and was proud to see this event from the other side, as a skater. The wind was a pain in the a**, hitting us just when we were hitting the downhill and flat portion of the course but a beautiful day.
It's always great to see familiar faces and new ones each year. We already have plans for improving this event for next year, so make sure it is on your spring schedule.
Get Inline!
Richard
rglittrell

Postby DROID on Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:25 pm

GREAT RACE EVERYONE................. sorry to say that when I crashed just before the bell lap, after (finally) catching the leaders........... I sustained a very high grade shoulder separation........ will undergo surgery on Thursday...... hope I can get back in shape after that to race again this season............. btw............... can anyone tell me WHO ???!!!??? went down right in front of me ?????? It happened in a nano-second.......... I was skating in the draft of greatness........ best ever race of my life in progress.......... and in a flash...... I was on the pavement in sheer agony......... absolutely ZERO time to react.............. so WHO was that guy on the pavement that I skated over ??????? and HOW DID HE FALL???? we were all just cruising in a paceline......... no sprinting ..... no hazzards on the (dry) road..... skating on a perfectly straight stretch.......... WHAT HAPPENED ?????????????????????

Again........... great race everyone......... the E.R. was definitely LESS fun than the post race festivities.... hope to see you all again ASAP..........

DROID
DROID

Postby sxevegan on Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:20 am

Andy,

I really wish i was able to congradulate you in person for the great race you had. Bridging that gap must have been tough! How long were you out in no-man's-land by yourself?

I didn't see or hear your fall at all, but from what I heard, Alex hit a patch of the loose tar and tripped himself a little, which caused Ryan Chrisler to go down, and then you do fall over him. He ended up with a fractured finger and two less finger nails then he started the race with. It sucks that you were both having such a good race, at a great event, on a beatiful day when that happened. I guess that's just part of the sport though. I hope you have a speedy recovery and are able to skate by the San Fran race.
Rob Bell
sxevegan

Postby DROID on Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:04 am

So it was Ryan............. that's a shame...... it all happened SO fast....a nano-second...... absolutely no time to react at all. Too bad about the hand injury for Ryan........... I hope Ryan recovers quickly

Both Alex and I caught the leaders on solo efforts.......... it probably would have been more energy efficient to work it together. As usual there were few,.... if any skaters willing to take a pull in the main chase pack..... both Alex and I were VERY hungry to chase down the leaders. He tried repeatedly to establish an organized chase, with no cooperation,... so his efforts were reduced to sporadic break-a-way attempts. I found that if I jumped on..... I would end up pulling the pack up to a tired Alex,..... and it would get me tired too....... so the overall effort was fragmented. Then at one point Alex got a nice gap... Me and 2 other guys got a chase together and also gapped the pack............. eventually bot Alex and I ended up skating alone..... I was about 200 meters behind Alex...............Alex cought the leaders just before the downhill segemnt on lap #4.... but it took me another full lap to bridge that gap....

so to answer you question,......I was alone for about 8 miles ........

....................... followed by 1 1/2 miles of real hapiness as I hooked on to the pack of elite pros............ WOW ..... I was feelin' like a million bucks. It was extremely cool being in Mantia's draft...... able to see his legs... his stride..... superb technique..... beautiful. What a truly great skater.

THIS SLICE OF HEAVEN DID NOT LAST FOR LONG.............. crash 'n burn.

I will have shoulder surgery this coming Thursday............ will be in a splint for 4 weeks............ then I can start training again................ so San Fran is not going to be in the cards for me................ I hope you do well...... equipment cooperates and you can let your talent and training shine through. I wish you the very best of luck.

DROID
DROID

Postby sxevegan on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:05 pm

Andy- How close was your crash to when Joey was buzzing the lapped skaters? I heard an "oh shoot" at one point when we came very close to taking someone out. At first I figured that was when the crash happened, but Alex told me otherwise. I didn't notice anyone was missing until about a half mile past the start finish line.

The pace on the first lap was pretty quick, or at least faster than the years before. The first crash I saw of the day was due to pure stupidity. Some guy was weaving around the pack like a fool, caught someones skate, and went down right in front of Alex and me. I thought for sure I was going to hit him but he slid just to the side of me.

Joey led all but about the first half mile of the first lap. He took the right hand corners much quicker than we usually do. Gaps were formed in the corners and a high exit speed made the pack fall apart. By the time the first lap was over we were down to 7 guys in the lead pack: Joey, Colin, Jordan, Norm, Adam, Ryan, and myself. It was an interesting split in teams -- four skaters were working for Luigino/Answer and 3 for Simmons.

Only 1 masters skater made the breakaway and that was Norm. Going into the race we had a few different goals, one of which was to make sure that one of the simmons guys won masters. That meant that we either needed to get Norm out of the lead pack, or we needed to get one of our masters guys into the lead pack.

Joey is an easy skater to figure out, but a very hard guy to beat because he's so dang fast. He'd wait for some of the simmons guys to get off the front and stay about 20 feet off the back of them. Then he sneaks up behind them with Colin on his wheel and flys past them at 900mph. Then the tired skaters who were just off the front are now 20 feet off the back and need to throw the hammer down to catch back up. Any time one of my teammates would try and pick up the pace Joey would sit back, and then dry and blow by them. That was one of reasons for the slow pace of the last 5 laps. We're not dumb. It really wasn't my goal to beat Joey in the end. I would have been happy with simmons taking 2nd, 3rd, and 4th. It was Colin that we needed to wear out, but Joey wouldn't let that happen. He worked hard (and smart) so that Colin could just sit in and relax until the sprint.

At one point Joey went off the front by himself. That was fine by me. Like I said, with Joey out of the picture we could tag team Colin and wear him out. Unfortunately, that's the part of the interview where Joey talks about slowing down because he didn't want to skate the next 16 miles alone. He waited for us to catch him and it was back to playing his game again.

The pace was slow for quite a long time. Eventually the chase pack came in sight. Jordan and Norm were taking turns pulling so that none of the masters guys would catch up. I was hoping Alex would attack out of the pack and try to catch on. He did just that and once he caught on the simmons guys picked up the pace a little bit to ensure the large chase pack didn't also catch on. Now the teams were even. There were 4 simmons guys (including 1 masters) and 4 Answer guys (if you include Jordan, who wasn't in a Answer skinsuit, but we all know he was working for Norman).

Andy Zak made the same move as Alex and caught the lead pack too. That made 9 in the lead pack. Unfortunately that didn't last long because he and Ryan crashed near the end of the 5th lap.

The pace slowed way down again on the final lap. The chase group looked like the were putting a hard effort in and were gaining ground pretty quick. WIth about a half lap left I got in front and picked up the pace, just enough to ensure we wouldn't be caught. With under a mile to go I decided I didn't want to be in the front for the sprint so I'd slide on back and see how Alex was doing. A had a minute or so to rest up in the back of the back and then Joey took off. Colin was on his wheel with Adam right behind. A small gap formed between Adam and Norm. Alex took that oppertunity to come around Jordan and Norm and start his sprint. IT was too late for me to catch the top 3 guys. I would have had to close a 10-15 foot gap in order to get on them. I felt good, but not that good. Coming out of the corner I was completely boxed in. Alex was right in front in front of me. Norm and Jordan were to my left. The grass was to my right. Alex was clearly in front of Norm so I yelled at him to move left. He moved left which gave me the perfect line up the inside and also ensured that Norm wasn't going to come around him. At the end, Simmons ended up with the 3rd, 4th, and 5th overall spots. Answer came out with 1st, 2nd, 6th, and 7th.

So it wasn't the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th we had hoped for, but it was close. We at least accomplished the goal of having one of our guys win pro masters. Joey and Colin both skated a really smart race. It would be hard enough to beat either of those guys by themselves, but the way they worked together made it even more of a challenge.

The weekend as a whole was great. The venue was great, the weather was great, the competition was great. The only downers of the weekend were the hospital visits by Andy and Ryan.
Rob Bell
sxevegan

Postby DROID on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:18 pm

To answer your question, I don't recall excatly when we were lapping specific skaters. The crash occurred within 200 meters of the last right turn before the sprint to the finish on lap # 5.

Great recap of the strategy among the teams in the lead pack.......... the "old guys" are quite a factor...... that is great to see (I'm biased)........... I am easily old enough to be the father of most of the elite pro peleton. So with Alex and Norm that is quite an "AARP showing". The rest of the masters and veterans were in the main chase pack...... most of those guys will be MUCH stronger now that the north country is starting to thaw out.

Honestly, it was extremely cool to be in the real pro peleton even for a short time. That is really something... getting sucked along at those cruising speeds....... excellent skating, especially Mantia...... very cool to see and experience..... my apetite is more than a bit "wet" to get back to that level after my operation and rehab time.

"OLD GUYS RULE" (I hope)

DROID
DROID

Postby Bill in Houston on Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:40 pm

Richard, hopefully you will come back to this thread and read it. Thanks very much for putting on a great event. It was my first real skate race, and my family and I had a great time. I love that location. Lots of trees, places to warm up, easy parking, etc etc. Anyway, I thought you and your volunteers and the Parks and Rec Dept people and the police all did a great job. The medical staff even treated a day-old scrape on my son's hand that was bothering him.

Thanks very much for your hard work. I am glad that you got to actually skate this year!
Bill in Houston

Postby Radical_Sk8tr on Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:03 am

Hello Droid - I witnessed your crash. You are right, just a nanosecond of tumbling. The lead pace line had just passed me and I watched you summersault through the air onto your left shoulder. There was a spectator right where you crashed and the police at the intersection were summoning the EMT's as I rounded the corner. You took the full impact with the pavement on your shoulder. I guess you know that. Looks like you've been provided info with who was with you in the pace line. My short thrill of the day was passing Joey in the Start/Finish area as the lead pace line stalled and was looking for someone to take the lead. I was happy to even though I was a lap behind! :) Wishing you a speedy recovery from your surgery. Great race and great racers!
Radical_Sk8tr

Postby skates09 on Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:48 pm

Why Robert do you always list way more of the top men finishers than the women?
skates09

Postby Jim White on Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:55 pm

One reason is that there are so many more men skaters. In this race, for pro (which is what was listed), there were 33 men and 8 women. So, almost all the women were listed, but only a few of the men. Another reason is that the women who weren't listed had times approximately 1:40 or more; these generally aren't considered pro times, even though these skaters may have checked the "pro" box on their entry form.

A similar reason is that news stories generally report on people who many readers know. The reported skaters are known nationally because they skate many races with high placements. Not so, generally, for the women not listed.
Jim White

Return to Skate Races and Events (Announcements, Race Reports, Photos)