Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - Keep skating in the winter

Keep skating in the winter

If you're learning to skate or want to help others get rolling, this is the forum for you. It's moderated by Kathy McSparran, the Inline Planet's Skate Coach.

Moderator: SkateCoach

Keep skating in the winter

Postby SkateCoach on Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:52 pm

Hi everyone!

I've heard from some of my students from the recent Camp Rollerblade learn-to-skate weekend in Hilton Head, SC that they haven't been able to skate because of the weather, turning the clocks back, etc.

Well, I know lots of you guys find all sorts of ways to continue to get your skating "fix" right through the winter, so please feel free to share your stories and tips here!

Personally, when I lived in Syracuse, NY I used to wear shorts and a bra top under my suit and kept my skate bag under my desk. At noon I'd strip down to the workout wear, toss on a windbreaker, skates and gear, and go. The best part was rolling through the office right into the elevator, and down and out through the lobby. The lobby guard used to get such a kick out of it he never told the building owners I was skating in and out. "They never told me there was any rule against skating in and out of the elevators! 'Course if they knew, they'd probably make a rule, but I ain't going to tell 'em!"
Kathy McSparran
The Skate Coach
SkateCoach

Re: Keep skating in the winter

Postby momo_snc on Thu Dec 04, 2008 5:55 pm

Hi Coach!

I am a relative newcomer to the sport of inline distance skating (first race was the half-marathon last September at Northshore), but I am now totally hooked on inline speed skating. Unfortunately, I also live and work in a cold, snowy place (Green Bay, WI) and find it difficult to find outdoor skating opportunities due to the short days, the weather (snow and ice more than the cold) and that pesky full-time job. Fortunately, I found an alternative strategy that seems (so far) to be working for me.

A friend, upon hearing me complain for the umpteenth time about the lack of good winter skating, recommended last year that I check out the local short-track speed skating club, and I subsequently found my new winter home in terms of skating. It is been a great place for me to work on balance and refine my skating technique (although some aspects are obviously a bit different) as well as satisfy that "need for speed" that skating provides.

To round out my winter training, I hit the local YMCA for their "extreme" one-hour spinner (studio cycling) class at least once a week which does a great job in maintaining my aerobic conditioning while also developing my ability to handle the constant variation in pace and intensity of an inline race. My third "aerobic day" is either another one-hour spinner class or a high rep rate elliptical or cycling session at a constant pace and intensity. Add a couple of moderate upper-body weight workouts to that, and you have my winter training schedule.

Thanks so much for the informative articles. Your willingness to share your expertise is very much appreciated.

Stay Warm and Happy Holidays!
Michael
momo_snc

Re: Keep skating in the winter

Postby jeff foster on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:08 pm

hello we live in the state of pa. the winters can be pretty harsh. we skate all winter long out side. i train with keith carroll and a few others. we try to get aleast 40 miles i a week. the big problem we have is when it snows. the snow melts during the day and freezes at night. other than that we just dress warm. skating outdoors in the winter makes it easier so we are not playing catch up so much
jeff
jeff foster

Return to Skate Coach Cafe