Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - C.O.R.A. cancels California Cup Racing Series

C.O.R.A. cancels California Cup Racing Series

Press releases and announcements about inline skating events and products

C.O.R.A. cancels California Cup Racing Series

Postby Robert on Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:31 pm

From D. Miles:

Hi Skaters,

The California Outdoor Rollersports Association has been going through a metamorphosis. We are now a non profit corporation registered with the State of California and the Internal Revenue Service. Any day now we will receive our tax exemption determination letter from the IRS. We are now ready to move forward and carrying out a plan to reinvigorate skating in the San Francisco area and California.

I have officially stepped down as C.O.R.A. President. At the last Board of Directors meeting a new President of C.O.R.A. was elected. Congratulations to Chris Duderstadt. He has long been a strong advocate for skating and will be a great President. Lainie Monsef was elected as Vice President. Both will serve the skating community very well. I have not quit the organization. I will continue to serve as Executive Director of the organization. The direction of the nonprofit will be determined by the President and the Board of Directors. As Executive Director, I will carry out the tasks set forth by the Board.

C.O.R.A. is basically starting over with a new effort to develop new skaters. In order to do this, we need support from those of you that would like to be a partner with us as we move forward. We are putting together a new C.O.R.A. membership package. We will be able to serve you discounted prices on skates, wheels, bearings and other skate equipment. It is your membership in this organization and your support for this effort that will help bring more people both young and old into our community of skaters.

CORA EVENTS CALENDAR

One of the problems with promoting skating is there are no sponsors willing to help with cash support. Product is fine, but you can't pay permits fees with it. C.O.R.A. has decided to suspend the California Cup Inline Racing Series for one year. That means we will NOT be presenting the Greg Levien 50 Kilometer Memorial Roadskate, the Crystal Springs Inline Marathon or the GodFather's 100 Kilometer Challenge in 2008. These events will be back in 2009. We will take 2008 and build up our resources. We plan to raise enough money in 2008 to present a proper Cal Cup Series in 2009. We will be self sufficient. We will purchase our own chip timing system and help other groups to become self sufficient as well as new skater groups become allied with our efforts.

We will present the Napa Valley Inline Marathon and Half Marathon on Sunday July 13, 2008. We have a new course on the Silverado Trail between Oak Knoll Road and Oakville Cross Road. This is a much smoother portion of the Silverado Trail. We are thinking of presenting the "Do You Know The Way To San Jose Roadskate" this summer It's 50 miles and focuses on skating as alternative transportation.

We are doing a massive PR campaign for C.O.R.A. through the Skate Against Violence Campaign and Roadskate. I am finalizing plans for the SAV Roadskate as we speak. Here are the names of those who are planning to skate with us. We will post the route so people who live along the route can join us for a while. I am putting together a webpage complete with skater bios. Here is who is going so far:

1. Michelle Knowels
2. Mike Riddle
3. Ming Lee
4. Jonathan Seutter
5. Michael Garvin
6. Tom Vick
7. Jack Fong
8. Chris Bohren
9. Robert Motta Jr.
10. Robert Wurgaft
11. John McKnight
12. Barrie Hartman

Much like the guy in "Jaws" when he said, "We're gonna need a bigger boat", we're getting bigger RV's. We are promoting a big roller disco fundraiser on April 5 at ISA High School. http://www.cora.org/SAVParty2008.htm The school donated the gym for the party free to show their support for us. I think realistically we can raise $3,500 towards the skate through that event. I am trying to do another event on Sat. April 12. Maybe an all girl roller derby game.

Any little donation helps!!! C.O.R.A. has a tax ID number where the donation is tax deductible. http://www.active.com/donate/SkateAgainstViolence

This is no joke. We have what it takes to make something happen for skating in a big way. We are going to reinvigorate skating. Don't be a poser. Don't wait for someone to do it for you. They won't. Get involved and truly show some support for this effort.

Keep Rollin',

D. Miles Jr.
Executive Director
California Outdoor Rollersports Association
http://www.cora.org
Robert
Site Admin

Re: C.O.R.A. cancels California Cup Racing Series

Postby bldegle2 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:28 pm

Understanding the situation here and not blaming anyone..................still a HUGE bummer.....

However, it still sucks BIG TIME that the West Coast, etal, North, South, East and West has nothing to offer, except for a smattering of events which I can list on less than one hand of five fingers..... I am happy that I was able to live the good times of the nineties, during the 'race' season, it was not uncommon to have three races (sometimes more) per MONTH locally..... I used to keep a race log, booty was good, skater participation was high, it was a good time, as many as 25 to 30+ races PER YEAR to chose from, most in California...I am not surprised it happened, the demise in events has been happening for several years now, if not for D Miles, Rose and all of the volunteers over the years, we would have been dry here in NorCal even sooner.....SoCal is not far behind, the premier events down there have dried up over the last couple of years...oh what I would give for the good times with the FOUR (yes, count them) Napa to Calistoga races per year (alas, those good times were throttled when the Highway Patrol and the local government got involved due to some complaints), and so many other local and Socal events, can anyone say 'road trip?'..... :twisted:

Now, unless you are prepared to spend $1000's traveling to parts of the country that still have premier events and healthy turnouts, it pretty much sucks, no grass roots events to assess your conditioning or sharpen your pack skills prior to taking your game on the road.

So, for the time being, California is really now the LEFT coast, left out that is....

It was a good run, hopefully something positive will come out of it.....

Looks at the seriously expensive carbon bike in the kitchen that I built last year and use for cross training, actually thinking about competing in that venue with a vengence until this is all sorted out.....

It is what it is, maybe someday it can become what it once was....

Laterzzz.....
bldegle2

Postby sxevegan on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:12 pm

That definately is a bummer for 2008. On the bright side, Napa is still happening and in 2009 it sounds like the cal cup will be back and better than ever.

As for being "left out," try living in Oklahoma. We don't have a single race in our state all year long. The closest outdoor event is the Texas Road Rash in Austin. The next closest drive is 13 hours to Chicago.
Rob Bell
sxevegan

Postby skates09 on Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:02 pm

Very sad and sorry to see the cancellation of yet another skating series. Part of the reason I stay in California, I so look foward to these races. Appreciate all you do Dave. Carol Hochstein
skates09

Postby Robert on Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:19 pm

No doubt we will miss the California Cup this year and hope for its return next year.

But don't forget about the San Francisco Inline Marathon, May 4 in Golden Gate Park. This looks like it's going to be a great event, despite the effort of some people to shoot it down.

It's also part of NROC. So don't miss it! :wink:
Robert
Site Admin

Postby Sk8GodFather on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:18 pm

Yes there are a lot of skaters that feel bad about this decision. But in the long run this is the best decision. CORA as a non profit is stretching it's wings. The members of the board are learning their role. We have always had a different view on skating than the most of those that have come and gone and I want to really try out my theories.

I really love doing the Cal Cup Series, but if I have to fund the whole effort, something has got to change. The Cal Cup Series needs to expand and involve other local races in southern California and Arizona. They need to be funded properly. They need to be designed to draw in new skaters. We are going to spend 2008 building up for 2009. Then we will show everyone else how to do the same. Come to Napa in July amd you'll leave ready to start up skating where you live.

The current efforts of wrangling the same skaters into a limited number of national events will further limit the numbers of skaters in those events that can not afford to be in the loop. That will result in few people discovering skating and eventually few skaters in those bigger events with no reinforcements on the horizon. At ther rate skating's growth is going right now, we'll be lucky to have 3 events that are worth mentioning by 2010

What we will put forth in 2009 will represent a brand new beginning. Please be a part of it.

D. Miles Jr.
Sk8GodFather

Postby zoraster on Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:16 pm

Hey David,

I know that you have spoken to some members of our group via emails about our newly forming organization in So Cal. I hope we can help you and CORA in any way in uniting Nor Cal and So Cal to help create a true California Cup. Look for our speed team showing up at races soon.

Scott
zoraster

Return to Announcements