Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/inline2/public_html/forum/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Inline Planet Skate Forum • View topic - Setting the record straight

Setting the record straight

Interplanetary space for discussions of inline skating

Setting the record straight

Postby SF Inline Marathon on Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:13 pm

:D :D :D

There is a rumor going around that the SFIM is in jeopardy of being cancelled.

Relax!! This rumor is false!

We have been coordinating with Golden Gate Park since the completion of our successful inaugural event last year. We are looking forward to another exciting and successful inline skating event that will be in full compliance with local statutes, ordinances and permits required for Golden Gate Park.

If you have any questions about anything, please feel free to email me directly. To keep the spam out of my box, log onto http://sfinlinemarathon.com, and click the contact us link in the upper right corner.

Larry Bisagni
Race Director
San Francisco Inline Marathon
SF Inline Marathon

Re: Setting the record straight

Postby sxevegan on Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:57 pm

How much does it cost to register at the expo?
Rob Bell
sxevegan

Postby SF Inline Marathon on Tue Apr 29, 2008 4:20 pm

The cost is the same - you have to fill out paperwork.
SF Inline Marathon

Postby ultrask8 on Tue Apr 29, 2008 5:01 pm

"Skaters Only!
From 8 a.m. till 1:30 p.m., it's skaters only on Golden Gate Park's main drag (Cyclists and runners are relegated to the shoulder)"

A change from the previous statements that skaters will have exclusive use of the roadway . ?

Also the welcoming statement from Mayor Newsom , is from before last year's event. Though I am sure he would also approve of the 2008 version!

A fine org like the Savant Group doesn't need to massage the facts - SFIM should be a great event, in a great location - hopefully the cyclists and runners understand that they are relegated to stay in their painted lane. How will this be accomplished?

As the only NROC west coast event, this is promising to be a good one!

My congrats to Savant for supporting our sport - lets in turn all support the SFIM.
ultrask8

Postby SF Inline Marathon on Tue Apr 29, 2008 8:05 pm

Here is the welcome verbatim from Mayor Newsom. It will be in the second page of the program. It is also on our website!

Dear Friends,

On behalf of the City and County of San Francisco, I’d like to extend a warm welcome to all of the participants of the 2nd Annual San Francisco Inline Marathon.

San Francisco is a city that celebrates life, diversity and health; the same qualities that construct the inline skating community, so it should come as no surprise that you should regard our city as the ideal location for your marathon.

It is an honor to have the finest inline skaters in the world joining together in San Francisco to compete in this event. I am pleased to acknowledge the dedication and commitment of the inline skating community and all of its participants in 2008. The residents of our city embrace diversity and appreciate the importance of a healthy mind, body and spirit. We are pleased to be hosting this competition that highlights these values in a sporting event with such global appeal and international participation.

I am equally pleased that all proceeds of this marathon will go to benefit the Savant Group Charitable Foundation (TSGCF), a 501(c) (3) San Francisco-based non-profit organization, that awards grants to causes in need right here in the Bay Area.

Again welcome and I wish you all much success for a productive and rewarding event!
Warmest Personal Regards,

Gavin Newsom
Mayor
SF Inline Marathon

Postby ultrask8 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:29 am

Thats great that you printed the entire letter from the mayor.

What about the width of the roadway now that its official from SFIM org that skaters will have to share the roadway with other park users? ( it was stated prior that skaters will have entire use of the roadway - SFIM now says that runners and cyclists will be on a narrow shoulder, separated from the race hopefully by a painted line.

Some might ask how wide of an actual skating racecourse will it be, on for instance the outbound leg (of the out and back) course?
I am sure that there is also a good system for the ( U ) turns (like a whistle blowing flag waver etc)

Anyways I am sure that the SFIM will be a good event, based on the info thats coming out now - its only 5 days before the race so get ready to rrrumble

For sure the stage has been set for a fantastic event - DON"T MISS IT!
ultrask8

Postby DROID on Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:34 pm

I can't help but ask........................ what is the date of that letter from the Mayor of SF ??????????

Truthfully, it should not really matter........ but JS is correct abot massaging the facts.

The heart of the issue is the SKATING RACE......... which I think everyone agrees should be fantastic. I think that the entire US skating "world" truly appreciates this event and all the work involved in organizing it. Also,...... I would strongly doubt that there will be any problems with runners and cyclists. The only time that the skaters should really need to use the entire road will be at the finish line and I am quite sure THAT will be wide open. Also, if Joey Mantia is there he will most likely be alone at the line perhaps with a string of a few skaters on his wheel,..... like at the Road Rash.

I only wish I could be there skating.

Thanks again to the Savant group !!!!! ...

DROID
DROID

Postby ultrask8 on Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:02 pm

Yes Droid I wholeheartedly agree, kudo's to Savant!!!

The participants deserve to be fully informed of the conditions they will deal with in any event - so "full and exclusive use of the roadways" is a bit different than " bikes and runners (uh, meaning walkers , etc etc) will also be on the roadway (roadway defined as curb to curb) but confined (how?) to the painted bike lane on each side of the road (don't know how wide this bike lane is) .

How will the bikes and runners etc (walkers, strollers, dog walkers, or whatever) be "encouraged: to stay within this bike lane?

How wide is the actual skating race course open to the racing skaters going one direction?

Keeping in mind the width of the roadway, how will the turnaround be accomplished safely?

These are all reasonable and valid points.... I am sure the SFIM has all bases covered, so let the race begin!

Promotion is fine but keep it level and up front - the skaters coming to the starting line deserve to be fully informed - I think SFIM knows this and it will be an interesting and fantastic event!!!!!!
ultrask8

Postby JGwinner on Wed Apr 30, 2008 10:28 pm

I attended last year (and finished last! In the Rec full marathon category).

However, I tore my MCL a while ago :shock: . Although I've skated twice now and it's looking good, and looked forward to beating my last placement :D unfortunatly I won't be ready. :(

I hope to come back next year for the 3rd one!

We need more west coast events. It still astounds me that the SoCal area has no full length skater marathon.

== John ==
JGwinner

Postby DROID on Thu May 01, 2008 1:24 pm

John.......................do the Napa event................ you will love it............. you either the 2 laps for a full marathon..... or 1 lap for half marathon.............. and the event itself with all the post-race festivities..... is really a blast.

Droid
DROID

Return to Inline Skating